The Pioneer story is one of a Duluth family active in area banking throughout four generations. Beginning in 1857, Hamilton M. Peyton established the first private bank at the head of Lake Superior in Superior, Wisconsin. Later, his sons, John N. and Hamilton H. Peyton, chartered the Citizen's State Bank of West Duluth in 1912. The bank was nationalized as Pioneer National Bank of Duluth in 1927 and has continued in the Peyton family ownership and control for 100 years.
In October 1990, the bank acquired the Miller Mall branch of the failed Midwest Federal Savings and Loan. This doubled our size and significantly improved our ability to assist small to medium sized businesses grow and expand through working capital loans and long-term financing. We take considerable pride in providing the highest quality friendly service to our customers.
In August 1996, because of an increasing customer base in the Eastern suburbs of Duluth, the Mt. Royal branch was opened to better serve new and existing customers throughout Duluth and Northern Minnesota.
Pioneer National Bank continues its commitment to the Duluth/Superior
area by providing professional, personalized service to individuals and
businesses, with all decisions made locally.